MON - FRI 12:30 PM 7253.5 KHz Central States Traffic Net
DAILY 5:30 PM 3920 KHz Kansas Sideband Net
DAILY AFTER SSB 3920 KHz Kansas Weather Net
DAILY 7:00 PM 3547 KHz Kansas CW Traffic Net
MON 19:32 3547 KHz Kansas Slow Speed CW Net
1st 3rd THUR 7:00 PM 3940 KHz Kansas Emergency Net
TUE 8:30 PM 3820 KHz W MO/KS SATERN PHONE NET
TUE 9:00 PM 3579.5 KHz W MO/KS SATERN PSK31 NET

Thanks Doug! For those nets whose names don’t say their modulation mode, are they FM? For example, the Kansas Weather Net and the Kansas Emergency Net.

HI Jarrod,

Most of the Nets listed here, including the two you asked about, are all HF Phone nets which use Single Side Band (SSB) and generally with the frequencies listed are on the Lower Side Band (LSB) portion of the frequency. Those listed as CW nets obviously use CW (Morse Code) and the SATERN PSK31 Net uses the digital mode PSK31. Don’t be confused with the title of the “Kansas AM Weather Net”. It uses SSB just like the others, not the AM mode as might be thought (the AM in the title refers to the fact that it is the early/morning weather net.

I hope this helps and that I didn’t muddy the waters too much…hihi

de KC5VKG - Doug

Alright thanks Doug! I have a portable radio that can receive shortwave (3 - 30MHz) on FM, so I was thinking of trying to listen in on the nets I thought were FM. Guess I need a receiver with an SSB mode. :crazy_face:

No problem Jarrod. But I’m curious about what model radio you have. Generally speaking, shortwave broadcasts use Amplitude Modulation (AM). Single Side Band (SSB) uses a “side” of the AM carrier either the upper or lower side of the carrier, suppressing the unused side. Some general coverage shortwave receivers, which I believe you own, may not do USB/LSB per se, but have what’s known as a Beat Frequency Oscillator, or BFO. This is most commonly a knob or even a slider control (while some newer high-fangled units might do it by a menu control). BFOs are used to demodulate SSB signals, making them intelligible, by essentially restoring the carrier that was suppressed at the transmitter (per Wikipedia). It’s simply a matter going to the frequency (the audio will sound garbled, muddled, or even like Donald Duck) and adjusting the BFO until the audio becomes intelligible. Now all that being said, I could be wrong about some things which, if you ask my wife, I usually am :blush:

I hope I didn’t confuse matters more :woozy_face:

de Doug - KC5VKG

Nope, no confusion! It’s cool that other guys find this “nerd” stuff interesting. :slight_smile: The radio is an Eton E10 I picked up at a thrift store. Maybe its shortwave mode is AM, I’m not sure, but I can get some channels that sound like talk radio. I also pick up CB frequencies on it.